Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Life with Four Babies and a Bon Bon

Needless to say, Jim and I aren't getting lots of sleep these days. I don't function well in a state of sleep deprivation, so we've had some interesting moments during our middle of the night feedings. Once, I awoke utterly confused about who Jim was...I knew he was important, but I wasn't quite sure how he was related....the night before last I fell asleep during a feeding, and snored for an hour before Jim woke me up to give me the two babies that hadn't been fed, yet. We are working out a routine, though, that is allowing us both to get a decent chunk of sleep each night, and it seems to be helping.

Bonnie (aka The Bon Bon) is adjusting to life as a big sister. She likes to kiss the babies, although it makes her mother's heart skip a beat every time she leans in to kiss with a river of snot running out of her nose. However, I do my best not to discourage kind touching, as I don't' want her to become resentful of these four new little intrusions into her life. After all, she was accustomed to being the center of the universe before the quads came home!

Bonnie also likes to help feed the babies. Sometimes she is a bit forceful. I've caught her grabbing a head and attempting to shove a bottle into the mouth of a sleeping baby on more than one occasion. She is also the official pacifier police. Anytime she finds a pacifier without a baby, or a baby without a pacifier, she takes control and ensures that everyone has all of the necessary equipment.

She also likes to "help" by tossing diapers and blankets into the crib on top of sleeping babies. While this is generally more amusing than dangerous, we've decided to keep a baby gate up in the nursery's door, to keep big sis from dropping more dangerous items in the crib, or accidentally suffocating a little nub. There is no doubt in my mind, however, that I'm going to end up on the floor at some point after either forgetting the baby gate is there and running into it, or falling down after attempting to step over it.

We have made a big dent in the formula samples that we got from the hospital and pediatrician, and we are still waiting on the "shipment" of formula that has been promised from the Enfamil folks.......here'e hoping the Enfamil fairy visits soon!

I'm off to prepare for the 5p feeding. Our first church volunteer is scheduled to arrive at five---thank goodness!!! We are VERY grateful for any help we can get!

P.S. I hope to post some new pictures later tonight!

2 comments:

Liz said...

I cannot even imagine! Its fascinating to read about but I must confess I don't know how we would do it! You hang in there Super Mom!!

Anonymous said...

I hope the Enfamil fairy has arrived!! Mackenzie is very similar to Bonbon's actions so I can't imagine how it is with four, between diapers flying and paci's too. Keep up the good work!!