Thursday, October 23, 2008

Update on the Babies!

All four are doing great!

Audrey came off of c-pap on the evening of the 21st. The other three came off the morning of the 22nd. They are all still doing great breathing on their own on room air only!

Yesterday (the 22nd) they all started taking formula feedings through a nasal-gastric tube. I've had the opportunity over the last two days to give several feedings. I even gave Audrey her very first feeding! They are all doing great with the feedings, and we are slowly increasing the amount that they get. Their nurse explained today that once they are on 100% formula/milk feedings and are no longer needing nutrition through their IVs that they will be able to take out their IVs as long as they don't develop a need for some sort of IV medication. She said that this could actually come within a few days! Once all of their IVs are out, they should be able to "bunk up" and share isolettes. The goal being to have two together in one isolette. That way, everyone has some company!

I was able to spend a fair amount of time with the kiddos today, and, in addition to the feedings, was elisted to help with a few other aspects of their care. So, today, I started changing diapers and taking temps! I changed my first little boy diaper today, although the nurse said that I hadn't truly changed a boy diaper until I got peed on during a diaper change. LOL!

Speaking of me...I'm recovering well from the C-section. Medications are keeping my pain in check, now and I'm getting around fairly well. I'm going to be discharged tomorrow, and they are actually taking the staples out of my incision before I leave. Yeah, I was surprised, too. I can't wait to be home with my family and sleeping in my own bed!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You'll have to let me know about the staples--seriously!! I didn't have them with Mackenzie and do now and honestly I'm a bit frightened :)